Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mock Drafts? DeMar DeRozan, Who?

It’s June 3rd. If I do quick math, It is 22 days away from the NBA draft. While most people will be tuning in for the finals, the draft has taken the attention of others. Every blogger who writes for a Lottery team has already posted their ‘mandatory’ Mock Draft. For the serious cases out there, there’s Mock Draft 1.0, 2.0 or even 3.0. I have nothing against Mock Drafts, but after awhile they become boring and useless. It’s still early in the offseason, (two teams are STILL playing) so other player news is highly unlikely.

Now I’m not going to lie, I am very excited for the draft. Why? I’m curious to see what Bryan Colangelo will do with the 9th pick and if he gets any second round picks. I heard rumours that he wants to draft big…. I guess the keyword is rumours.We currently have 6 bigs, not counting who we know is not coming back. Bosh, Bargnani, Pops, Patrick O’Bryant, Kris Humphries and Nathan Jawai. Bosh is main contributing to our rebounds, other than him no else averages more 6 (minus Marion, he’s a forward). Unless were trading our bigs for a better big, drafting a big, IMO, is unnecessary.

Next, in some of these Mock Drafts, DeMar DeRozan is our guy. DeRozan is a 6’7” 211 lb SG/SF. He’s 19 and a freshman out of USC. His Draft Express profile here. Some believe he wont be available at 9, while others say we wont even pick him and he’ll be available later. Now if you’re like me, your saying what does he have to offer? What makes him a ‘9th’ pick? Well I watched him play in the NCAA tournament, and I was impressed…

Then again I’m easily impressed by college kids. So here’s some videos instead:

phdsteve from Raptors Republic has us choosing DeMar DeRozan with the ninth pick. The Knicks Blog has us with DeRozan at nine. Touthouse has him at 6, while we pick PG Brandon Jennings.The Bleacher Report also has DeRozan at 6, but has us choosing Jrue Holliday. Da Bullz.com has him dropping to 12th!! while we choose DeJuan Blair ahead of him. But that’s because they believe we are going to trade Chris Bosh. NBC Sports also had DeRozan dropping, while we pick Jordan Hill, a big. The Dream Shake, just like Da Bullz, believe He will dropped to 12 for Charlotte. They say he’s like ‘Gerald Wallace at best’. They have us picking Jrue Holliday as well. SLAM online has picking Tyreke Evans.

Of course These are just some of the MANY Mock Drafts out there.

The important thing is how Colangelo feels. Last year at 17, I was looking forward to someone interesting like Courtney Lee or CDR. But noooo, we traded our pick for a lower one, and got a ‘Aussie Shaq’! I have faith that BC will do better with the ninth this time around. SO cross our fingers.

If you notice anything incorrect please feel free comment and let me know. I edit this myself and there might be things I miss. Thank you

No comments: